2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon cinnamon, or more for optional topping
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 cups peeled and chopped apples (preferably Fuji)
6 large square egg roll wrappers (found in the refrigerated section of the supermarket with the other Asian items)
I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! Spray
Optional topping: fat-free whipped cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a medium nonstick pot on the stove, combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, vanilla extract and salt with 1/2 cup cold water. Mix until ingredients dissolve. Add apples and stir. Bring to medium-high heat and, stirring frequently, cook until apples have softened, 7 to 10 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to low and, stirring often, cook until thick and gooey, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool.
4. Prepare a large baking sheet by lining it with foil and/or spraying it with nonstick spray. Set aside.
5. Place two egg roll wrappers flat on a dry surface. Set out a small dish of water. Dip your finger into the water, and run it along all of the wrapper edges. (Repeat as needed while preparing your pockets, as it will help seal them.) Starting half an inch from the bottom, place about 1/3 cup pie filling along the bottom half of each wrapper, leaving a half-inch border on the sides.
6. Fold the top half of each wrapper over the filling, so that the top edge meets the bottom and the filling is encased with a border on three sides. Dab each border with water, and fold each inward about 1/4 inch to lightly seal. Press firmly along the borders with the prongs of a fork to seal completely. Carefully transfer to the baking sheet. Repeat this process with remaining wrappers and filling, for a total of six mini pies.
7. Spray the top of each pocket with 3 sprays of butter. Bake in the oven until edges begin to brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
8. Top with additional cinnamon and fat-free whipped cream or ice cream if desired.
From The Picky Eater
Lemon Blueberry Pie
Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies
Cardamom Snacking Cake
Back to Dessert Recipes