6 cups crispy rice cereal
4 cups mini marshmallows or about 40 regular marshmallows
3 tablespoons margarine or butter
Toppings of your choice
1. Measure out your ingredients—namely, the marshmallows and the cereal—beforehand. This is helpful because once you start the recipe, it proceeds quickly, and you don't want the butter or marshmallows to burn while you're measuring things out. Also, it'll be easier for young kids to participate this way.
2. Melt the butter or margarine over low heat in a saucepan. Use a large enough saucepan that the cereal will fit in it as well. Stir in marshmallows until they're totally melted.
3. Add the cereal and stir until all of it is coated.
4. Coat a 13x9x2-inch pan with cooking spray or butter. Press in the cereal and marshmallow mixture using a spoon, spatula or wax paper.
5. Let it cool in the fridge until it's firm.
6. When the marshmallow and cereal mixture is firm (or you're ready to decorate), take it out of the fridge. Use all different sized cookie cutters to cut out stars. Take some extra time to work the cutter into the cereal to get a good slice. The mixture will probably stick to the cutter, so you can just pull the whole thing out and then carefully poke every corner of the treat out of the cookie cutter so it remains star-shaped.
7. Start decorating! Frosting, sprinkles and other toppings will stick easily. If you have small children, arrange all the decorations in easy-to-reach bowls and let them have fun.