Before Zoe Saldana became pregnant, I didn't really know much about her or pay much attention and I wasn't all that interested because, I'm ashamed to admit, I was judging her on outward appearances only. I mean, just look at her! She's gorgeous, a celebrity and married an artist on what appeared to be a whim after an incredibly short courtship.
I was convinced she had nothing in common with me, a "real" woman. Boy, was I wrong! When I found out she was pregnant, I started paying more attention and found Saldana charming and interesting. Now that she is a mother, all I can say is that Saldana is as real as real gets and I'm so glad that I started paying attention because now I find Saldana all kinds of crush-worthy and inspiring.
Lucky for you, I'm not a jealous crusher and love to share my celebrity crushes with others so here are five reasons you should be crushing on Zoe Saldana too:
1. She's honest. Saldana is NOT one of those celebrities that acts like getting back into shape after being pregnant is easy and that breastfeeding and genetics pretty much does all the work. Oh no, this woman is honest. She's refreshingly candid about having gained 70 pounds while pregnant with twins and the crazy amount of work and dedication it takes to get back in shape.
She's even sharing her journey on Facebook to encourage other moms on the same journey and wrote, "Your body changes dramatically, inside and out. You grow in places you never knew you could, and you are tired beyond belief. In some cases more than others, your body experiences a kind of trauma through childbirth that is difficult to explain unless you've had that experience." And that right there is nothing but the truth!
2. She gave up dieting. Just the thought of dieting makes me hungry and want to binge on chicharrones. Well, Saldana gets stressed out by dieting too, so instead, she's taking a different approach and shared the following on Facebook: "I am going to remove the word 'diet' from my life. I am going to remind myself that it is not about losing weight, it is about being healthy, feeling healthy, for the rest of my life." Yes, yes and sí ALL THE WAY AROUND!
3. Her husband is hot! So obviously Saldana is GORGEOUS, but can we just talk about how hot her hubby Marco Perego is? He's an artist — Swoon! He's Italian — Swoon! He's one of the few men aside from Jared Leto who can sport a man bun and still look sexy — Swoon. And he's clearly smitten with his lady love — SWOON!
4. She's a multicultural mami raising multicultural children. Born in New Jersey to a Dominican father and Puerto Rican mother, Saldana proudly embraces her multiethnic and multicultural background. I have no doubt her children will grow up loving all the cultural gifts that both their parents and extended families bring to the table.
5. She is a successful Latina representing in Hollywood. Saldana is a Hollywood powerhouse. She is a leading actress in an industry that still does not show Latinas as the powerful women we all know them to be and instead relies heavily on tired stereotypes. Saldana is no one's stereotype and she's helping to pave the way for more powerful Latinas to dominate in entertainment.