When I saw on my Facebook feed that Gwen
Stefani and Gavin Rossdale were getting divorced, I initially thought, "Wow,
that sucks!" I mean, they have kids, right?
My second thought was not so nice:
Wow, the hubs and I are actually making a better go of this than a pair of
rich, beautiful celebrities? Cool. I mean, marriage is hard. Schadenfreude makes it easier.
Here are 10 other ways celeb marriage failures make we, the public, feel good about our own struggles with long-term partnership:
10. It reminds us that having boatloads of money
doesn't solve all our problems.
9. It shows us that being really, really good-looking
doesn't make us immune to infidelity.
8. It means that celebs really are "just like us."
Yep, they buy toilet paper and eat burritos and eff up their relationships. No
one is any different.
7. They get bored, too. There's something comforting
about the image of Gwen and Gavin, or Jen and Ben, sitting side-by-side on the
couch, each looking at their iPhones, eating takeout and vaguely watching
Gavin was less-famous Gwen. Did he have a hard time with his wife's success? Can anyone name a song by the band Bush?
6. Nothing that bad has happened. I know that
personally, in order to look a little kid in his sweet face and tell him
that Mommy and Daddy aren't together anymore, some bad shit had to go down. If
you're shit isn't that bad, rejoice!
5. It makes us remember that there is no fairy tale.
All marriages, even the ones featured in Vogue, take work.
4. You'd never have to "go public" with the news. Telling
friends and family would suck. Telling the whole world would be even worse. Be
glad that there are only a handful of people who would even care that you
3. It makes you remember that you (hopefully) got
married for the right reasons. That's not a guarantee that your marriage will
work, but it's a good starting place.
2. It makes you appreciate your man. If your guy is
supportive, remember that's not always the case. Gavin was less-famous Gwen.
Did he have a hard time with his wife's success? Can anyone name a song by the band
Bush? These are tough questions.
1. Because you had the good sense to hire an ugly
nanny. Unlike all of these famous women, you aren't parading treats in front of
your man. Good for you, girlfriend. You are one step ahead of the game.