In a surprising turn of events, Eva Mendes, the 42-year-old actress, model, and spokeswoman, has decided to trade in her status as a national celebrity and become a stay-at-home-mom for her two little girls, Esmeralda (22 months) and Amada (3 months). After all, being a celebrity parent has got to be tough. I mean, juggling red carpets, interviews for national magazines, glam photoshoots, and filming with other famous actors must be exhausting.
Plus, managing the nannies and PA’s as well as scheduling in some time with Ryan Gosling? I’m working up a sweat just thinking about it. Well, that might be more from the thought of going on a date with Ryan Gosling, but whatever. In a recent interview with Latina Magazine, Mendes revealed the reasons for her hiatus. Following are my loose interpretations:
1. She’s Able to Prioritize – Spending time with her daughters is her number one priority right now, she says. Personally, my number one priority is staying sane until bedtime, but I suppose we all have our own battles.
2. She Shares a Bed with Ryan Gosling– Just picture it. Mendes and Gosling are lying in bed and they hear little Amada crying on the monitor. They play a game of rock, paper, scissors for who’s going to get her. Gosling loses and Mendes smiles warmly after him as he leaves the room clad only his boxers. I can’t even imagine the stress.
3. She’s Able to Enjoy the Little Moments – “My little one is still an infant,” she said. “Right now it’s really about…trying to enjoy this time as much as possible with them.” OK, I apologize for this. But how could she not enjoy her time in any capacity? I’m not saying she doesn’t have her struggles (though surely they’re not struggles we common folk are likely to experience.) Seriously though, do you think she does her own laundry? Cleans her own house? Of course she can focus on enjoying her time with them when everything else is taken care of! And yes, I realize this sounds like the bitter, jealous ramblings of a layperson, and I’m not contradicting you.
I’m not saying Eva Mendes isn’t a great mom and that she doesn’t face any hardships.
4. Work Doesn’t Have to “Take Her Away” - Though she may not be acting, she’s still designing a clothing line for New York & Company, not to mention continually developing her beauty company CIRCA, which is at every single Walgreens in America. With multiple income streams and a beau who has his face plastered on everything from dishtowels to coffee cups, I imagine it’s relatively easy to turn down a movie role that would take her away from home.
5. She Can Actually Take Advantage of Being Home – As previously mentioned, being home for Eva Mendes is most likely not the same as being home for the rest of us. I doubt she has hastily scribbled grocery lists strewn about on a roll of toilet paper that her two-year-old has dragged like a ribbon all throughout the house while yelling, “Toilet paper time!” (Yes, this happened to me.) I imagine the Mendes-Gosling home looks much like the couple: Stylish, expensive, put together, and too beautiful for real life.
6. She Has Nannies and PA’s – “It sounds so clichéd,” she told Latina, “but I never knew life could be this fun and this great.” Now, I’m not much of a gambler, but I’d bet my not-yet-conceived second child that Mendes has a slew of nannies and personal assistants that does everything from intercepting mail and grocery shopping to telling her when to pee.
7. Did I Mention Ryan Gosling? – This one is just really self-explanatory.
I’m not saying Eva Mendes isn’t a great mom and that she doesn’t face any hardships. Merely that while for most of us being a SAHM is a sacrifice on many levels, for Mendes it probably looks a little more like vacation. That being said, if I was her, you can bet your left boot I’d be staying home, too.