Two years ago, I cut the cord.
And the vast majority of the time, I don’t even notice the cable is gone. I have
both Netflix and Hulu, which I stream through my Apple TV, giving me access to
anything I could possibly want to watch … and then some. All for the grand price
of $15.98 a month.
I’m telling you, it's the best decision
I’ve ever made.
But last Christmas I did have a
bit of a panic. You see, I am a sucker for sappy, romantic, over-the-top and
super cheesy holiday movies. I can’t help it. They are totally my guilty
pleasure. Every year prior to cutting the cord, I would spend the entire month
of December glued to the Hallmark Channel, ABC Family and Lifetime, just
soaking in all the made-for-TV Christmas goodness they had to churn out.
So I was worried my first year
after cutting the cord that I wouldn’t have the same kind of access. The
Hallmark channel was one of the last holdouts on streaming (though you can now
download their app for $5.99 a month, which I totally do just for the month of
December!) and I wasn’t sure I would be able to find my favorite holiday films.
I should have known better.
Because between Netflix, Hulu, and the Feeln app, there are more sappy,
romantic, over-the-top and super cheesy holiday movies to be streamed than I
could ever possibly make it through in just a single month.
Lucky for you, I’ve watched all
of them. And I’ve got a list of my favorites and where you can stream them:
Photograph by Photofest
1. "12 Dates of Christmas" (2011, Netflix): Amy Smart is
adorable in this as she is forced to relive Christmas Eve over and over again
until she gets her date with Mark-Paul Gosselaar (and the rest of her life)
2. "Love at the Christmas Table" (2012, Hulu): This sweet movie follows two
childhood friends through every Christmas their families force them to spend
together… until it isn’t quite so forced anymore.
3. "Christmas With Holly" (2012, Feeln): This movie follows a little girl
traumatized by her mother’s death, her hot uncle doing his best to raise her
now, and a mystery woman in town who might just be the answer they didn’t even
know they were looking for. All the feels!
4. "All I Want for Christmas" (2007, Netflix): This cute movie is
about a single mom whose son wants to see her find love for Christmas, so he
goes all out to help her find it.
5. "Coming Home for Christmas" (2013, Hulu): A family torn apart
can only be saved by two estranged sisters who have to fight to bring their
parents back to the home they grew up in.
6. "Back to Christmas" (2014, Feeln): If you could go back to any
Christmas and change the way things turned out, which would you choose? This
one is about a woman who yearns to do just that, hoping to fix her failed engagement
in the process.
7. "A Christmas Kiss" (2011, Netflix): Kissing your boss’ boyfriend in an elevator is never a good idea, but
things get messy (and adorable) in this movie when that boyfriend doesn’t even
recognize his Christmas kiss after the fact.
8. "Dear Santa" (2011, Hulu): When a spoiled party girl finds
a lost letter to Santa, her entire life is flipped upside down as she tracks
down the original writer and winds up finding a greater purpose in the
9. "Christmas Angel" (2012, Feeln): What happens when a little girl
wishes for a dad for Christmas? Magic, that’s what.
Photograph by Arc Entertainment
10. "An Evergreen Christmas" (2014, Netflix): A singer finds
herself back at the family Christmas tree farm when her father dies, faced with
pursuing her dreams or saving her family’s legacy.
11. "Christmas Town" (2008, Hulu): No matter how big a
Grinch this movie’s heroine may be, she can’t deny the spirit of Christmas when
she visits a town that seems as though it may just be Santa’s headquarters.
12. "Santa Baby" (2006, Feeln): Jenny McCarthy as a
businesswoman who also just so happens to be Santa’s daughter… there is just so
much to love!
13. "The Christmas Card" (2006, Netflix): This is the holiday movie that
feels like a Nicholas Spark’s novel, with a soldier home on leave seeking out
the woman who sent Christmas cards to active duty troops, one of which he
14. "Christmas Crush" (2012, Hulu): A high school reunion taking
place within a holiday movie? Everything about that concept is perfect.
15. "Another Christmas Kiss" (2014, Feeln): The sequel to the original "Christmas Kiss," this one has a similar premise, just with different kissers involved!
16. "Hitched for the Holidays" (2012, Netflix): Joey Lawrence stars
in this movie as a commitment phobe who wants his family off his back, so he
goes online and finds a woman to pose as his fiancé for the holidays.
17. "Christmas Belle" (2013, Hulu): Haylie Duff plays Belle in this
modern day Christmas adaptation of "Beauty and the Beast" (with a beast who is
just angry at the world, but otherwise gorgeous).
18. "Paper Angels" (2014, Feeln): I don’t know about you, but I
love Josie Bissett. So watching her leave an alcoholic husband and somehow
still find happiness for the holidays is pretty much the epitome of cheesy
holiday movies to me.
"Christmas Ranch" (2016, Netflix): Of
course there is a ranch that needs to be saved in time for Christmas, and a
rebellious teenage girl is just the person to save it.
20. "A Snow Globe Christmas" (2013, Hulu): A too-busy-for-feelings TV exec gets sucked into the perfect Christmas town she's been working so hard to create. And no matter how much she fights it, of course she comes to realize just how much better it is.
"Guess Who's Coming to Christmas" (2013, Feeln): A rom-com about a rock star who heads to a small town for some
image repair, only to wind up falling in love and realizing the true meaning of
"Small Town Santa" (2014, Netflix): There's
a new girl in town and a hot sheriff who can’t seem to get into the holiday
spirit. Of course he’ll be a true believer after this Christmas eve.