These are NOT your typical doughnuts.
These easy, delicious and totally unique "doughnuts" are not made from dough at all!
That's right! Apples (any kind!) are thickly sliced, dipped in batter and quickly fried.
I drizzled them with a quick two-ingredient icing, but feel free to dunk them in some cinnamon-sugar instead or shower them with powdered sugar. Just be sure to serve them up immediately (which I promise will NOT be a problem)!
Even better, these are easily made gluten-free! Simply substitute the flour with your favorite gluten-free flour blend. The results are just as delicious!
Meal snack, dessert
Prep 10 minutes
Cook 20 minutes
Total 30 minutes
- 4 medium apples (I used Fuji apples here), washed and dried
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour blend)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice (or cinnamon)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- Photos by Sheri Silver
- 1. Cut apples from top to bottom into 1/4"-thick slices—you should get approximately 6 slices per apple. Use cookie cutters to cut the centers out of each slice. Lay slices on a paper towel-lined baking sheet and cover with more paper towels; press to eliminate as much moisture as possible (this will help the batter adhere).
- 2. Heat 2"-3" of vegetable oil in a large pot to a temperature of 375 degrees F.
- 3. While the oil is heating, whisk flour, baking powder, apple pie spice, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add 1 cup of the milk and the beaten egg, and whisk till smooth.
- 4. Place 3-4 apple slices into your batter. Turn with a fork to coat, and lift each slice before transferring to the oil so that any excess batter drips off. Cook slices for about 2 minutes, turning once, till golden brown on each side. Use a clean fork to transfer to a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining slices, watching the temperature of the oil and adding more oil as needed.
- 5. Whisk confectioner's sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons of milk in a small bowl till thick yet pourable, adding more sugar or milk as needed till the proper consistency is reached. Use a fork to drizzle the icing over your "doughnuts." Serve immediately.