I don’t know about your family, but in mine the vegetables on the Thanksgiving buffet were always more of an afterthought. Not bad, per se, but certainly not exciting. More along the lines of: “We need something green. Let’s steam up these green beans." And ... done.
But with more and more family and friends turning to a vegan or vegetarian diet, those vegetables needed a serious upgrade. When the side dish becomes the main event, color, flavor and texture need to shine. Enter these easy and delicious Brussels sprouts!
Brussels are stellar when roasted simply, with just some olive oil, salt and pepper. But they go to the next level when tossed with a glaze of bourbon and maple syrup. And by deploying your high-heat oven and lots of standout flavors, all you need to do is pop everything in and set your timer.
The results? A beautiful and delicious “side” that your vegetarians will have a hard time keeping away from those meat eaters in the crowd!
Maple Bourbon Brussels Sprouts
Meal side dish
Prep 10 minutes
Cook 40 minutes
Total 50 minutes
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coarse mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Toss Brussels sprouts with olive oil and spread evenly on a baking sheet; season with salt and pepper.
- 2. Roast for 20 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- 3. Meanwhile, bring the bourbon to a boil in a small saucepan; reduce heat and simmer for about 3 minutes. Stir in the maple syrup and simmer for another minute. Remove from heat and stir in the mustard.
- 4. Pour maple mixture over the vegetables; stir to coat evenly and continue roasting till deep golden brown—about 20 minutes more. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and serve immediately.