In an effort to get my family to eat more veggies over the years, I’ve noticed that there are a few tried and true tips that work every time: Make them crunchy. Make them pretty. Add cheese.
These broccoli fritters are a triple threat, guaranteed to appeal to even your pickiest eaters (big OR little)!
Mushy, overcooked vegetables are the quickest way to turn anyone off. But that doesn’t mean breaking out the deep fryer! These oven-baked fritters have just as much crunch as their less-healthy fried counterparts, with half the fuss and zero mess! A light coat of olive oil spray provides just the right amount of crunch and color as these fritters bake—unattended—right in the oven.
And I think we can all agree that cheese makes everything better, am I right? Cheddar and parmesan provide all that melty goodness, and are a perfect flavor counterpart to the broccoli.
Best of all? These fritters are just as delicious using frozen broccoli or fresh. So, keep a few bags in your freezer and you can “eat your veggies” any time!
Cheesy Baked Broccoli Fritters
Meal snack, vegetable, side
Prep 10 minutes
Cook 20 minutes
Total 30 minutes
- 1 medium broccoli, cut into florets (or 2-3 cups frozen florets, thawed)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon each garlic and onion powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar, plus additional for serving (optional)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil spray
- Sour cream for serving (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees; line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- 2. Place the broccoli florets in a food processor and process till finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl and add the eggs, garlic and onion powders, cheeses and breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper and combine well.
- 3. Form into 3-inch patties, about 1/2-inch thick and place on your prepared baking sheet. Spray lightly with olive oil spray and bake for 10 minutes. Flip, spray again and bake for an additional 10 minutes till golden brown. Serve hot or warm, with sour cream and additional cheddar if desired.