Learn how to make mozzarella sticks with a healthy twist!
RECIPE: Baked Zucchini and
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 20 minutes
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 zucchini, halved lengthwise and quartered
- 4 mozzarella sticks, halved
- ½ cup, panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup, grated parmesan cheese
- ½ tbs. Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ cup, marinara sauce for dipping
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. half and half
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Rimmed baking sheet with silpat
- 3 shallow dipping bowls
- Fork for whisking
- Olive oil bottle (optional if you want to
drizzle instead of spray)
1. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper
2. In a shallow bowl combine bread crumbs, parmesan
cheese, Italian bread crumbs and kosher salt. In a separate shallow bowl combine beaten egg and half and half. In the last
shallow bowl place all-purpose flour.
3. Starting with the flour, then the egg mixture
and finally the breadcrumb mixture, dredge each piece of mozzarella until all
pieces are completely coated. Repeat the
process 1 more time to ensure full coverage.
4. Line up breaded mozzarella sticks on prepared
baking sheet and place in a freezer for 15 minutes or up to one hour.
5. While the sticks are in the freezer, repeat the
breading process with the zucchini. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
6. Remove the cheese sticks from the oven, and add
the zucchini sticks to the baking sheet. Spray frozen sticks with non-stick
spray and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
7. Serve warm with marinara sauce.
Recipe by Skylar Thomson