Baked apples, literally.
RECIPE: "Baked Apple" Pies
Makes 4 individual pies
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 4 large Apples (any variety)
- 2 small Apples (any variety), peeled and finely diced.
- 2 tbs. light brown sugar
- 1 tbs. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 10-inch. store bought pie dough (roll)
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 tsp sanding sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Slice the top off of the 4 large apples and scoop out the flesh, leaving a 1/4 inch border, using a melon baller or paring knife.
3. In a small bowl, combine the diced apple, light brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt.
4. Using a spoon, place the diced apple filling into the hollowed out apples
5. Unroll the pie crust and cut into quarters; one quarter per apple.
6. Cut each quarter into 1/4-inch strips and lay 4 strips of dough, side by side, on top of the apple. Taking one new strip at a time, weave the strips over and under the strips already in place. Repeat until the top of the apple has been covered. Trim any excess pie crust around the edges with a knife.
7. Brush each crust with the beaten egg and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
8. Wrap the bottom half of each apple in tin foil and place them in a rimmed baking dish.
9. Bake the apples covered for 20 minutes. Turn the oven to 375 degrees and bake the apples uncovered for an additional 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Check on the apples periodically to be sure the sides don't begin to split.
10. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve with vanilla ice cream.
Recipe by Skylar Thomson