Anything with brioche for breakfast is fine in our book!
RECIPE: Spinach and Cheese Brioche Strata
Cook Time: 1 hour
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 1, 1lb. brioche or challah loaf
- 2 tbs. unsalted butter, plus more for the baking dish
- 1 tbs. avocado or canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1, 10oz. box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup lowfat sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheese, Mexican blend (about 8 ounces)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Heat the butter and avocado oil in a large sautee pan over medium heat.
3. Add the onions and 1 tsp. of kosher salt to the hot pan and sautee until onions are translucent and fragrant, about 8 minutes. Add the spinach and toss to coat. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
4. In a large bowl, combine brioche, onions, spinach and parmesan cheese.
5. In another large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sour cream, 1 1/2 cups Mexican blend cheese and 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
6. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and fill it with the bread mixture.
7. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and bake the strata, uncovered for 50 minutes until it is golden brown on top and slightly puffed.
8. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake for 10 additional minutes or until cheese is melted.
9. Allow the strata to cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe by Skylar Thomson