Who wouldn't want an adorably packaged homemade granola as a gift?
RECIPE: California Granola (adapted from Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Every Day)
- 3 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded large-flake coconut
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Grated zest of 2 oranges
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2/3 cup dried cherries
- ½ cup chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 325F with racks in the top and bottom thirds
of the oven. Set out two rimmed baking sheets.
2. Combine the oats, pecans, coconut, sunflower seeds, salt, and
orange zest in a large mixing bowl. Heat the butter in a small saucepan over
low heat and stir in the maple syrup. Whisk until thoroughly combined, then
pour the maple mixture over the oat mixture until everything is well coated, at
least 30 seconds. Divide the mixture equally between the baking sheets and
spread into a thin, even layer.
stirring a couple of times along the way, for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until
the granola is toasty and deeply golden. You may want to rotate the pans once,
top to bottom, to ensure even baking. Remove from the oven and let cool
completely, then stir in the cherries and chocolate chips. Store in an airtight
container at room temperature.
Recipe by Amelia Morris