1. Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender and blend to desired consistency. All the seasonings can be modified depending on taste—add what you like!
1 1/4 cups warm water
2 teaspoons instant yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1. Make the dough the night before or early the morning on the day you
want to make the pizza. In a large mixing bowl (or in the bowl of a stand
mixer), mix the water, yeast, sugar, honey and oil. (If using active dry yeast,
increase the amount of yeast to 2 3/4 teaspoons and proof the yeast in the
water until foamy before mixing in the sugar, honey and oil.)
2. Then mix in 1 cup
flour and the salt. Continue mixing in all the remaining flour until you get a
nice, soft dough. Knead until dough is soft and smooth, about 10 minutes by
hand or 5 minutes with a stand mixer.
3. Shape the dough into a ball and place in a lightly greased bowl and
cover tightly (with a lid or plastic wrap). Place the dough in the refrigerator
to slowly rise until 3 hours before baking.
4. Three hours before grilling,
remove the dough from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature,
keeping it lightly covered. Preheat outdoor grill to medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes. While the grill
preheats, grease a large baking pan and press each piece of dough into an
5. Gather your pizza toppings and place them on another
tray. Once outside, place the tray of dough on one side of the grill (if you
don't have overhangs on your grill, choose another flat surface or table).
Place the tray of toppings on another flat surface.
6. Lightly brush the pizza
dough with oil. Open the grill and gently grab two edges of the dough and in
one smooth motion, lift the dough and place it on the hot grill.
7. Close the grill and let the dough cook for 2 to 4 minutes. The dough will
be ready to flip when it has lightly bubbled on the surface and the bottom has
grill marks but isn't burned. Using a pair of tongs, gently flip the dough
8. Throughout this process, keep an eye on the grill temperature, adjusting
up or down as needed. Working quickly, spread pizza sauce over the crust. Layer
with desired toppings.
9. Once all the toppings are on the pizza, close the grill
and let the pizza cook for 2 to 3 minutes to melt the cheese. Remove the pizza
from the grill, slice and serve!
Makes 2 12-inch pizzas or 1 large 16- to 18-inch pizza