There are those foods that—occasionally, at least—deserve lots of extra time and attention. Think birthday cakes, holiday meals and special occasion brunches and dinners.
But snacks? Definitely not.
Snacks should be simple, easy and deliver on fun, flavor and complete satisfaction of whatever craving you happen to be craving. Which is exactly what these Nutella-stuffed pretzel bites are all about.
With just a few simple ingredients, these sweet-salty pretzels are ready to serve in about 30 minutes. And get the kids involved! Little hands will love dolloping on the Nutella, and brushing and sprinkling the dough prior to baking.
I used store-bought pizza dough, but feel free to use your own homemade, if you prefer.
Nutella-Stuffed Pretzel Bites
1616 pretzel bites
Prep 20 minutes
Cook 2 minutes
Total 40 minutes
- 1 pound (16 ounces) pizza dough, at room temperature
- ¼ cup (approximately) Nutella
- ¼ cup baking soda
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- flaky salt, for sprinkling
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2. Bring 4-5 cups of water to a boil. While waiting for the water to boil, cut the pizza dough into 16 equal portions. Flatten them slightly with the palm of your hand.
- 3. Working with one piece of dough at a time, place ½ teaspoon of Nutella in the center and bring up two opposite ends to meet. Keep bringing opposite ends together until the Nutella is completely enclosed. Pinch dough tightly and place, pinched side down, on your prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 4. When water comes to a boil, add the baking soda (mixture will bubble up). Add half the pretzels to the water and cook for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and return to your baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pretzels.
- 5. Brush the tops of the pretzels with your beaten egg and sprinkle generously with salt.
- 6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or unti deep golden brown. Let cool slightly and serve immediately.