Tired of the same old grilled cheese? Catherine McCord of Weelicious shares a special take on the old standby, turning it gluten-free and veggie-friendly. She says, "Not only was it a ton of fun making these and watching a head of cauliflower turn into slices of bread, but the kids and I totally devoured them. Trust me when I say you don’t need to be gluten-free to enjoy the no-bread sandwiches. They’re made with nothing but whole ingredients and taste like something really special."
Gluten-Free Grilled Cheese
2 small heads cauliflower, cut into florets
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup shredded cheese or 4 slices cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 450F and move the rack to the middle. Line
a baking sheet with parchment paper and liberally grease it with olive oil. Set
2. Place the cauliflower florets in the food processor and pulse
until it is about the size of rice. It should be finely chopped but not
3. Transfer the cauliflower to a microwave-safe bowl and
microwave on high for 8 minutes, until cooked and soft.
4. Allow the cauliflower rice to cool so that it is easier to
handle. Place in a tea towel and squeeze out as much moisture as you can. This
is a very important step as the cauliflower rice needs to be dry to form into
5. Place the dry cauliflower in a mixing bowl, add the eggs,
mozzarella and salt and mix well.
6. Divide the mixture into 8 equal sections, and shape each into
a square on the parchment lined baking sheet.
7. Place in the oven and bake for about 16 minutes, until golden.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool 10 minutes before removing from the
8. To make the grilled cheese sandwiches: Heat the butter in a
pan over medium heat.
9. Place one slice of the cauliflower bread into the pan, top
with cheese, and another slice of bread.
10. Cook for 2-4 minutes on each side, until the cheese is melted
and the bread is golden brown.