"If you have a friend who just had a baby, this is the best gift for a new mama," says Catherine McCord of the kid-friendly food website Weelicious. She adds, "They’re nice and crunchy, freeze beautifully and—since I've made dozens of them—I know they last for 2 weeks covered on your counter, if you can keep them around that long!"
Prep 20 minutes
Cook 10 minutes
Total 30 minutes
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached organic all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons brewer's yeast
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons unrefined virgin coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, yeast, flaxseeds, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- 3. In the bowl of an electric mixer or with a hand mixer, mix together the butter and coconut oil until creamy. Add the sugar and continue to beat 5 minutes, until fluffy.
- 4. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until combined. Add in the vanilla.
- 5. Gradually add in the dry ingredients, beating on low speed until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and almonds until combined.
- 6. Using a mini ice cream scoop or 1 tablespoon measuring spoon, scoop the dough onto a Silpat-lined baking sheet.
- 7. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.