While most parents that I know struggle with coming up with
fresh dinner ideas each night, I’m typically challenged by lunch. My younger
son needs to take lunch each day to his summer camp, and my older son is
always on the hunt for a portable meal that can be easily heated up at his job
or school. He especially appreciates meals that don’t require utensils,
One of my favorite gadgets for creating individually portioned
meals is my muffin tin. Yes, the humble muffin tin! Of course I use it for
making muffins and cupcakes, but it is also the perfect size and shape for
making single-serve portions of almost anything you can think of!
I recently used it with one of my favorite shortcut ingredients—wonton wrappers—to make these easy, delicious and totally portable lasagna cups!
You can follow the recipe below, or use your favorite lasagna
filling. Feel free to mix things up! Use ground turkey or chicken, toss in
some fresh spinach—you basically can’t go wrong.
The lasagnas freeze beautifully and heat up quickly in the
toaster oven or microwave. And they make a perfect appetizer, light lunch or
Now if I only knew what I was making for dinner tonight!
Individual Lasagna Cups
24 wonton wrappers
1/2 pound ground beef, browned and drained
1 1/2 cups of your favorite marinara sauce
3/4 cup ricotta
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (plus extra, for sprinkling)
2 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
chopped parsley, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees; grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
2. Combine the egg, ricotta, parmesan and 1 cup of mozzarella in a medium bowl.
3. Place 1 wonton wrapper in the center of one of the muffin tin cavities. Press gently but firmly around the sides and bottom to create a cup. Repeat to fill the rest of the tin.
4. Place a little sauce in next, spreading with the back of a small spoon.
5. Scoop a heaping teaspoon of the ricotta mixture in next, followed by all of the ground beef and half the remaining cup of mozzarella. Repeat layering with the wonton wrappers, sauce, ricotta mixture and remaining mozzarella.
6. Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with additional grated parmesan and chopped parsley.