A number of years ago, I
had the serendipitous good fortune of discovering the joys of frozen
cheesecake, having stored a few leftover slices in the freezer.
It was just like ice cream, but with the subtle tang of the
cream cheese, coupled with that irresistible graham cracker crust.
I’ve been hooked ever since.
These pretty popsicles draw inspiration from that discovery. It puts all
the flavors of key lime pie—including that crust!—on a stick, for perfectly
neat and individual servings!
It can be a challenge to find real key limes (which are also
smaller and more expensive), so I used regular limes—and the resulting pops
These popsicles are like summer on a stick, which is something
we ALL need more of, don’t you think?
Key Lime Pie Popsicles
Total15 (plus freezer time) minutes
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
2 teaspoons lime zest
1/2 - 3/4 cup lime juice, bottled or fresh (from 4 to 5 limes)
1 cup graham cracker crumbs (from 6 full-size crackers)
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons sugar
1. Beat the cream cheese, sour cream and confectioner’s sugar till
fluffy and smooth. Add the lime zest and 1/2 cup of lime juice and beat again
(you can add up to another 1/4 cup lime juice if you want more tartness).
2. Pour the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar in a small bowl. Use a fork to combine and place in the fridge till ready to use.
3. Pour the filling into your popsicle molds, about one-quarter of the way up. Freeze till thick but not frozen (a few hours).
4. Insert popsicle sticks and freeze till frozen. Add a layer of
the graham cracker mixture, tapping the mold on a work surface to level. Repeat
with the remaining filling, reserving a little for the last layer. Add the
second layer of graham cracker mixture, finishing with a bit of the filling
(this will keep the graham cracker mixture from crumbling when you remove the
5. Freeze overnight. To release the pops, hold molds briefly under
hot water and return to a foil-lined baking sheet to firm up. Wrap the pops up
and keep in the freezer till ready to serve.