As much as I try to keep the spirit of summer alive once school begins, it can be kind of tough. Hectic mornings abound, with lunches to pack, forms and homework to get into folders, teeth to brush—and all in about half the time we usually have when school is out.
And while weekend mornings can still feel somewhat festive and indulgent, I think it’s even more important to capture that vibe during the week.
Which is why I love these Birthday Cake Waffles—and so will you!
All you need are a few simple ingredients to turn basic boxed baking mix into next-level fun on your plate!
Waffles always feel extra special, and while there is certainly a time and place for “from scratch,” that time and place is most definitely not Tuesday at 7:00 a.m.
So whip up a batch of these beauties and watch the smiles ensue. You could even add some whipped cream, if you like—no judgment here!
Birthday Cake Waffles
Meal breakfast, lunch, dessert
Prep 10 minutes
Cook 10 minutes
Total 20 minutes
- 2 cups pancake/waffle baking mix
- ½ cup white cake mix
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup sprinkles, plus extra for “sprinkling”
- whipped cream (optional)
- 1. Pre-heat your waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- 2. Stir all ingredients (except for the extra sprinkles and whipped cream) in a large bowl till blended.
- 3. Spray the waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray, pour some batter in, cover and cook for 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet and repeat with remaining batter.
- 4. Serve immediately, with additional sprinkles and whipped cream if desired.
All images via Sheri Silver