Maggie Shi's new book "Slow Cooker Family Favorites" takes the technology of the slow cooker and turns time-intensive dishes into ones you can enjoy easily and nightly. Just in time for the cold weather, this stew hits on all the needed notes of a weekday meal—hearty, full of flavor and it literally cooks itself so you don't have to worry about dinner after a long day. Shi adds, "This festive meal is anything but boring; it’s bursting with shredded chicken, corn, and includes a jar of store-bought salsa (an effective shortcut). I recommend choosing a spicy one to give the stew a lively kick."
Spicy Mexican Chicken Stew
Meal lunch, dinner
Prep 10 minutes
Cook 240 minutes
Total 250 minutes
- 1 (16-ounce) jar spicy salsa
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1½pounds russet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen corn
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1. In a slow cooker, stir together the salsa, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Add the potatoes, corn, celery, carrots, onion, and garlic, tossing to coat. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and pour the broth into the slow cooker.
- 2. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender. Using two forks, shred the chicken and stir it into the liquid. Taste for seasoning.
Available at Amazon. Excerpted from "Slow Cooker Family Favorites" by Maggie Shi. (The Countryman Press 2016).