Maggie Shi's book "Slow Cooker Family Favorites" tackles some of the most complex, traditional family meals and makes them easy, do-able meals that will convert even the most reluctant home cook. For this particular meal, she writes, "While I try to keep slow cooker meals as simple as possible, in this case, I think it’s important to cook the onions and sear the brisket in advance. You’ll develop much better flavor and the end results are well worth it."
Brisket and Onions
Prep 20 minutes
Cook 480 minutes
Total 500 minutes
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil, divided
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced into half moons
- 1 (4-pound) beef brisket
- 1 ½ tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned, about 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, pat the brisket dry and season all over with the salt and pepper. In a second large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add the brisket and cook until both sides are browned, about 10 minutes. Remove and place in a slow cooker.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk together the broth, Worcestershire, soy sauce, tomato paste, and red wine vinegar.
- 4. Sprinkle the garlic and caramelized onions over the meat. Pour the broth mixture into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours, until the brisket is very tender. Slice or shred the brisket and serve with the onions and juices.