Fun With Salad
Prep 10 minutes
Cook 10 minutes
Total 20 minutes
- 2-3 thick slices of sourdough bread
- 2-3 heads of romaine, washed, dried and chopped
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil + more for the croutons
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- 1. To make the croutons, preheat the oven to 400F. Cut the bread into bite-size cubes and toss them with olive oil (about 3 tablespoons) and a bit of salt. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for about 7-10 minutes, or until the croutons turn golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- 2. Whisk together the lemon juice, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and 3 tablespoons of heavy cream until combined. Add a big pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Taste it. If you want it to be tangier, add more lemon juice. If you want it to be a bit more mellow, add some olive oil, so on and so forth.
- 3. Place the romaine in a bowl. Sprinkle over the croutons and Parmesan. Pour over the dressing and toss until all leaves are coated.
Adapted from Alicia Waters