If there is one treat that my entire family agrees is the best, it’s Muddy Buddies.
If you’ve never made Muddy Buddies before, simply check out the back of any box of Chex cereal. It is super easy, which is both good and bad, as it is also highly addictive.
And while you can’t go wrong with the original recipe, Muddy Buddies are even better with the addition of some spices and mix-ins. I’ve made versions that riff on cake batter, s’mores and even Samoa cookies.
I decided to take a cue from the season and create a batch of apple pie Muddy Buddies.
I added apple pie spice to the mixture and tossed in some apple chips and chunks of buttery streusel.
This might be my favorite variation and best of all! No peeling and chopping apples, rolling dough or turning on the oven!
Apple Pie Muddy Buddies
Prep 20 minutes
Cook 20 minutes
Total 40 minutes
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- big pinch of salt
- ¾ cup flour
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 cup red candy melts
- 1 cup white candy melts
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice, divided
- 8 cups Corn Chex
- 1 cup apple chips, divided
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 1. Make the streusel: Pre-heat oven to 375. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine the melted butter, both sugars, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl. Add the flour and stir to combine. Spread out on one of the baking sheets and bake for 15–20 minutes or till golden, stirring with a fork every 5 minutes to break up any large clumps. Cool completely.
- 2. Divide the confectioner’s sugar between two gallon-size resealable bags.
- 3. Melt the red candy melts and 1 teaspoon apple pie spice in a large bowl set over barely simmering water. Add 4 cups Chex and half the apple slices and stir to coat completely. Transfer to one of the resealable bags, close and shake till cereal and apple slices are coated. Spread out onto one of the baking sheets. Wipe out the bowl.
- 4. Melt the white candy melts, almond butter and remaining teaspoon apple pie spice as above. Add remaining 4 cups Chex and half the streusel and stir to coat completely. Transfer to the other resealable bag, close and shake till cereal and streusel are coated. Spread out onto the other baking sheet. Let dry, transfer to a large bowl and add the remaining apple slices and streusel, tossing to combine.
Images via Sheri Silver