Philia Kelnhofer wrote in her new book "Fast and Easy Five-Ingredient Recipes: A Cookbook for Busy People" "Whenever we have friends staying over or are hosting a brunch, this is the dish I make. This French toast casserole is everything you could possibly hope for out of a brunch menu item—sweet, with a little bit of crunch from the caramelized sugar, and very comforting. It’s definitely a crowd-pleaser."
French Toast Casserole
Meal Breakfast, Brunch
Prep 10 minutes
Cook 30 minutes
Total 40 minutes
- 1 loaf raisin cinnamon swirl bread
- 1 cup milk (I use 2% milk, but feel free to use whatever milk you have on hand)
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1. Preheat the oven to 370°F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- 2. Cut the bread into large chunks (I simply cut the entire loaf into sixths) and place the bread chunks in the prepared baking dish.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs and pour on top of the bread pieces.
- 4. Sprinkle both sugars over the bread mixture.
- 5. Bake for 30 minutes, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes, and serve.
Available at Amazon. Excerpted from "Fast and Easy Five-Ingredient Recipes" by Philia Kelnhofer (Countryman Press 2016).