"These bars are my jam (pun intended!)," writes Philia Kelnhofer in her new book "Fast and Easy Five-Ingredient Recipes: A Cookbook for Busy People." She adds, "They are my favorite dessert when I need to feed a crowd. Around the holidays or during the summers I find myself making these bars frequently; they’ve become a family favorite. What I love about this recipe is that there’s no need to scale up a dessert recipe and wonder whether it will make enough for a crowd."
Jam Crumb Bars Recipe
Prep 15 minutes
Cook 25 minutes
Total 40 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks; 12 ounces) unsalted butter, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup rolled oats, divided
- 2 cups jam (flavor of choice; I usually like to use raspberry or a berry fruit spread)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Use a little of the butter to grease a 10 x 15 x 1-inch jelly-roll pan.
- 2. Cut 1 cup (2 sticks; 8 ounces) of the butter into pieces and place in a food processor. Add 1 2/3 cups of the flour, 2/3 cup of the sugar, and 1/3 cup of the oats and process on high speed until combined into a mealy mixture, about 15 seconds.
- 3. Pour the mixture onto the prepared jelly-roll pan and press down the crumbs to form an even crust.
- 4. Spread the jam evenly over the crust.
- 5. In the food processor, combine the remaining scant 1/2 cup of butter, 1/3 cup of flour, 1/3 cup of sugar, and 2/3 cup of oats and process on high speed until combined, 10 seconds, then spoon the mixture over the jam layer.
- 6. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan before cutting into squares. I run a knife around the edges and then cut 32 squares (see note), but you could definitely cut them into even smaller squares to feed an even bigger crowd.
CHEF'S NOTE: I use a pizza cutter to cut the bars; it works like a charm.
Available at Amazon. Excerpted from "Fast and Easy Five-Ingredient Recipes" by Philia Kelnhofer (Countryman Press 2016).