Sachertorte is the most famous cake in Vienna, and one of the most famous in the world. It is a rich and festive chocolate cake, filled and topped with apricot jam and covered in chocolate glaze. It is typically served with a generous dollop of whipped cream.
While most commonly baked in a 9" cake pan, these individual tortes are just perfect for a small dinner party, or—if doubled—a holiday dessert buffet. The single-serving size also means no cutting and less mess, which is a boon for a busy hostess.
Made from just a handful of simple, readily available ingredients, Sachertortes are a unique and indulgent offering to serve up to your guests this season. And you don’t have to fly to Vienna to enjoy it!
Prep 25 minutes
Cook 20 minutes
Total 45 minutes
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips, divided
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 3 eggs, separated and at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup apricot jam or jelly
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees; grease a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners.
- 2. Melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water; set aside to cool.
- 3. Using the paddle attachment, beat the butter with 1/4 cup sugar till light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, followed by the cooled chocolate, vanilla and flour. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside. Clean and thoroughly dry the mixing bowl.
- 4. Using the whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites at medium speed, till frothy. Increase the speed to high and slowly add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Beat till stiff peaks form.
- 5. Fold the beaten whites into the chocolate mixture in four parts. Transfer to your prepared tins and bake till a toothpick inserted tests clean, about 20 minutes. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then remove from pans to cool completely. Place the rack atop a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- 6. Melt the jam and water in a small saucepan, stirring till smooth and pourable. Brush the tops of the cakes with the jam; stack half the cakes atop the other half (for a total of 6 cakes). Let set. Clean and dry the saucepan; place the remaining cup of chocolate chips in a small bowl.
- 7. Heat 1/2 cup cream in the cleaned saucepan till just about to boil. Pour over the chocolate chips and let sit, undisturbed, for 5 minutes. Whisk till smooth and emulsified. Pour glaze over the cakes; use a small angled spatula to smooth the tops and sides. Pour a second layer over the first and smooth again. Let set at room temperature.
- 8. Beat the remaining cup of cream till soft peaks form; serve with the sachertortes.
Images via Sheri Silver