In the Kitchen With Amelia & Teddy: Easy Banana Cream Pie
byAmelia MorrisApr 28, 2017
Easy Banana Cream Pie
1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
¼ pound plus 3 tablespoons unsalted
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate,
2 1/3 cups whole milk
1 vanilla bean, split in half
5 egg yolks
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons dark rum
2 small or 1 ½ large bananas, sliced
1 cup heavy cream, chilled
chocolate shavings, optional
Additional banana slices, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a
9-inch pie dish.
2. Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in
a bowl. Add the butter and stir with a fork until moist clumps form. Press the
dough evenly onto the bottom and up the sides of the prepared dish.
3. Bake the crust until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
4. Remove the crust from the oven and sprinkle it with
chocolate. Let it stand until the chocolate melts, about fie minutes. Using the
back of a spoon, carefully spread the chocolate over the crust. Chill or freeze
the crust until the chocolate is set, about 30 minutes in the refrigerator or
10 minutes in the freezer.
5. To make the filling, bring the milk and vanilla bean to a simmer in a heavy,
medium-sized saucepan over medium heat.
6. Whisk the egg yolks, ½ cup of the sugar, and the
cornstarch together in a large bowl. Gradually whisk the hot milk into the egg
mixture. Return the mixture to the saucepan and whisk over medium-high heat
until the custard thickens and boils, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and
whisk in the rum. Cool the custard to room temperature.
7. Stir the custard until smooth; remove the vanilla bean.
Spoon half the custard into the piecrust. Arrange the banana slices over the
custard. Top with the remaining custard. Chill until set, about two hours. (Can
be prepared to this point up to 1 day ahead. Cover with plastic wrap and
8. Whip the cream with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar to
soft peaks. Spread the whipped cream decoratively over the pie. Garnish the pie
with chocolate shavings and additional banana slices.