Easy Banana Cream Pie
Prep 40 minutes
Cook 180 minutes
Total 220 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ¼ pound plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 1/3 cups whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
- 5 egg yolks
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 small or 1 ½ large bananas, sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- chocolate shavings, optional
- Additional banana slices, optional
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-inch pie dish.
- 2. Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Add the butter and stir with a fork until moist clumps form. Press the dough evenly onto the bottom and up the sides of the prepared dish.
- 3. Bake the crust until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- 4. Remove the crust from the oven and sprinkle it with chocolate. Let it stand until the chocolate melts, about fie minutes. Using the back of a spoon, carefully spread the chocolate over the crust. Chill or freeze the crust until the chocolate is set, about 30 minutes in the refrigerator or 10 minutes in the freezer.
- 5. To make the filling, bring the milk and vanilla bean to a simmer in a heavy, medium-sized saucepan over medium heat.
- 6. Whisk the egg yolks, ½ cup of the sugar, and the cornstarch together in a large bowl. Gradually whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture. Return the mixture to the saucepan and whisk over medium-high heat until the custard thickens and boils, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the rum. Cool the custard to room temperature.
- 7. Stir the custard until smooth; remove the vanilla bean. Spoon half the custard into the piecrust. Arrange the banana slices over the custard. Top with the remaining custard. Chill until set, about two hours. (Can be prepared to this point up to 1 day ahead. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.)
- 8. Whip the cream with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar to soft peaks. Spread the whipped cream decoratively over the pie. Garnish the pie with chocolate shavings and additional banana slices.
Recipe from Jeanne Kelley’s Blue Eggs and Yellow Tomatoes