How do you serve up apple pie once the weather gets warm?
In an ice cream cone of course!
This clever twist on pie a la mode takes all the components of the traditional fall dessert and turns it into an unexpected warm weather treat!
Refrigerated pie crust make short work of the “cones” — which are easily created by wrapping strips of the crust around sugar cones, then baked and cooled.
The cones are then filled with a quick apple pie filling, and topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Make the cones and filling in advance, then assemble just before serving, for an easy do-ahead dessert!
Who says you can’t have your pie and eat it too?
Apple Pie a la Mode Cones
Prep 30 minutes
Cook 15 minutes
Total 45 minutes
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (one-half of a 14-ounce package)
- 1 egg white beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 sugar cones
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- juice of ½ lemon
- vanilla ice cream
- 1. Cut three 8” x 8” squares of aluminum foil. Fold the squares in half and cut the squares in half to create six triangles.
- 2. Place a cone in the middle of a triangle, as shown, and wrap it in the foil. Repeat with remaining cones and foil; spray the cones with non-stick cooking spray.
- 3. Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a shallow dish or plate.
- 4. Roll out the dough to an oblong shape (it doesn’t have to be perfect). Cut crosswise into ½” wide strips and brush with the egg white mixture.
- 5. Working with one cone at a time, and starting at the bottom, wrap a strip around the cone (egg wash side facing out), working upward, and overlapping the edges slightly as you go around. When you come to the end of a strip, add another until you reach the top of the cone. Repeat with remaining cones.
- 6. Gently roll each cone in the cinnamon sugar mixture and refrigerate overnight.
- 7. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the cones on a baking sheet, points up, and bake for 10 – 15 minutes or till golden brown. Cool on a wire rack and carefully remove the sugar cones. Set aside while you make the apple filling (can be made a day in advance).
- 8. Peel, core and dice the apples. Place in a saucepan with the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. Heat over medium heat, stirring, till mixture begins to boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Cool completely (can be made a day in advance - cover and refrigerate; bring to room temperature before using).
- 9. Just before serving, divide the apple filling evenly between the cones. Top each with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Images via Sheri Silver