It’s not just
for sandwiches. And these melt-in-your-mouth doughnuts are the delicious proof.
peanut butter doughnuts are layered with a ribbon of strawberry jam, and topped
with your choice of a peanut butter or strawberry glaze.
Not to mention, topped with
a shower of chopped peanuts!
pastry bags or zip loc bags to pipe out the batter and filling, making this a
fast, no-mess baking project that even the most novice baker can execute with
Peanut Butter and Jelly Doughnuts
1/2 cup sour
1/4 cup peanut
1/2 cup light
1/4 cup vegetable
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
FOR PEANUT BUTTER GLAZE:
1/4 cup peanut
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
FOR JELLY GLAZE:
2 tablespoons strawberry jam
1 cup sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees; grease and flour a doughnut pan.
2. Beat the egg, sour cream, peanut butter and light brown sugar till light and fluffy. Add the vegetable oil and vanilla and beat again. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and beat till just combined.
3. Scoop the batter into a disposable pastry bag or ziploc bag; snip a 1/2" opening in the corner and pipe half the batter into the bottoms of your prepared pan. Place the jam into another bag, snip an opening in the corner and pipe evenly atop the batter. Finish with the remaining batter and bake for 12 - 14 minutes. Turn the doughnuts out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
4. To make the peanut butter glaze: melt the peanut butter and butter in the top half of a double boiler set over barely simmering water. Remove from heat and stir in half the confectioner's sugar. Add more sugar, a bit at a time, till a smooth yet pourable consistency is reached.
5. To make the jelly glaze: whisk the milk and jam together till smooth. Add half the sugar and whisk, add more sugar a bit at a time till a smooth yet pourable consistency is reached.
6. Dip the doughnuts in the glaze, letting the excess run off, and return to the wire rack. Let sit for 5 - 10 minutes and sprinkle with chopped peanuts. Let set completely.
7. Note: Glaze ingredients are for six doughnuts. If you'd like to do half peanut butter/half jelly, simply halve the ingredients shown.