Peanut butter and jelly?
It’s not just for sandwiches. And these melt-in-your-mouth doughnuts are the delicious proof.
Easy baked peanut butter doughnuts are layered with a ribbon of strawberry jam, and topped with your choice of a peanut butter or strawberry glaze.
Not to mention, topped with a shower of chopped peanuts!
Use disposable pastry bags or zip loc bags to pipe out the batter and filling, making this a fast, no-mess baking project that even the most novice baker can execute with success!
Peanut Butter and Jelly Doughnuts
Prep 20 minutes
Cook 12 minutes
Total 32 minutes
- FOR DOUGHNUTS:
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
- FOR PEANUT BUTTER GLAZE:
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- FOR JELLY GLAZE:
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1 cup sugar
- 1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees; grease and flour a doughnut pan.
- 2. Beat the egg, sour cream, peanut butter and light brown sugar till light and fluffy. Add the vegetable oil and vanilla and beat again. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and beat till just combined.
- 3. Scoop the batter into a disposable pastry bag or ziploc bag; snip a 1/2" opening in the corner and pipe half the batter into the bottoms of your prepared pan. Place the jam into another bag, snip an opening in the corner and pipe evenly atop the batter. Finish with the remaining batter and bake for 12 - 14 minutes. Turn the doughnuts out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- 4. To make the peanut butter glaze: melt the peanut butter and butter in the top half of a double boiler set over barely simmering water. Remove from heat and stir in half the confectioner's sugar. Add more sugar, a bit at a time, till a smooth yet pourable consistency is reached.
- 5. To make the jelly glaze: whisk the milk and jam together till smooth. Add half the sugar and whisk, add more sugar a bit at a time till a smooth yet pourable consistency is reached.
- 6. Dip the doughnuts in the glaze, letting the excess run off, and return to the wire rack. Let sit for 5 - 10 minutes and sprinkle with chopped peanuts. Let set completely.
- 7. Note: Glaze ingredients are for six doughnuts. If you'd like to do half peanut butter/half jelly, simply halve the ingredients shown.
Images via Sheri Silver