looking for something a little different to serve Dad for dessert on Father’s
Day, look no further.
cupcakes have “dad” written all over them! The deep, complex flavor of stout
beer is an unexpected – yet perfect – complement to chocolate cupcakes, and the
alcohol burns off in the baking so everyone can partake!
A malt frosting
was the natural match for these cupcakes, and a simple garnish of a malted milk
ball finishes things off!
Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes with Vanilla Malt Frosting
FOR THE CUPCAKES:
butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup sour
3/4 cup Guinness (or other stout beer), room temperature
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
FOR THE FROSTING:
2 sticks butter, room temperature
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup malted
milk, plus more if needed
pinch of salt
12 malted milk
1. Make the cupcakes: Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees; line a 12-cup cupcake pan with paper liners.
2. Beat the butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add the eggs, sour cream, vanilla and Guinness and beat again. Add the dry ingredients and beat just till combined.
3. Fill the liners about 2/3 and bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or till a toothpick tests clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan to cool completely.
4. Make the frosting: Beat the butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add the malted milk powder and beat again. Add 4 tablespoons milk and the vanilla and beat again, adding more milk if needed (a little at a time) to achieve a proper piping consistency.
5. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag or heavy duty ziploc bag, fitted with a pastry tip if desired. Frost the cupcakes and top each with a malted milk ball. Keep refrigerated till ready to serve.