If you love s’mores (and who doesn’t?) and love Muddy Buddies (aka “Puppy Chow”), then you’re in for a treat.
This recipe takes all the flavors of your favorite summertime snack — graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallows — and turns them into one big bowl of Muddy Buddies!
One of the things I love best about a properly made s’mores sandwich is that you can taste all three components — and I wanted those flavors to all come through here. So I made two separate batches of Muddy Buddies – one chocolate, the other graham/marshmallow — and added some Golden Grahams cereal for extra graham-y goodness.
And because there’s no such thing as too many chocolate chips — or mini marshmallows — I tossed those in too.
Tuck these into your kids’ lunch boxes, or bring them along on your next summer adventure. And since no campfire is needed, that adventure can be a sleepover right in your own backyard!
S'mores Muddy Buddies
Prep 15 minutes
Cook 0 minutes
Total 15 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar, divided
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (from 6 full-sized crackers)
- 6 cups Chex cereal (any variety), divided
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 7-ounce jar Marshmallow Fluff
- 2 cups chocolate chips, divided
- 1/4 cup nut butter
- 3 cups Golden Grahams cereal
- 1 cup mini marsmallows
- 1. Place 1 cup confectioner's sugar plus the graham cracker crumbs in a gallon-sized ziploc bag. Place the remaining 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar in another bag. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, foil or waxed paper.
- 2. In a large bowl set over barely simmering water, melt the white chocolate chips, 2 tablespoons butter and the Marshmallow Fluff. Stir till smooth and well blended. Remove the bowl from the heat and add 3 cups of the Chex cereal. Stir gently till cereal is completely coated. Transfer to the bag containing the confectioner's sugar and graham cracker crumbs. Seal the bag and shake gently to coat. Spread the cereal on one of your prepared baking sheets; wash and dry the bowl.
- 3. In your now-clean bowl, melt 1 cup chocolate chips, the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and the nut butter over barely simmering water. Add the remaining 3 cups Chex cereal and stir till completely coated. Transfer to the bag of confectioner's sugar, seal the bag and shake gently to coat. Spread cereal evenly on the other baking sheet. Let both cereals dry; wash and dry the bowl.
- 4. Transfer cereals to your cleaned bowl and add the remaining 1 cup chocolate chips, the mini marshmallows and the Golden Grahams cereal. Stir to mix and transfer to an airtight container. Store at room temperature.
Images via Sheri Silver