This tasty drink can be enjoyed on days when you want to have something energizing and that you know is good for you, but you have cravings for something sweet and more decadent, too.
This vegan-friendly smoothie is made with tigernuts, the main ingredient in the traditional Spanish horchata de chufa, and I have become a huge fan of this ingredient both because of it’s natural sweetness and it’s nutritional value (hello fiber and minerals!). Tigernuts are not actually nuts, though; they’re a root vegetable. A one-ounce serving has about 40 percent of the daily recommended dose of fiber.
Tigernut flour can be found in health food stores and online as well. Bonus: it's gluten-free and paleo-friendly, too.
If you want to give this smoothie the consistency of a milkshake, cut the banana into slices and freeze beforehand, then toss it directly into the blender with the rest of the ingredients.
Chocolate Horchata Smoothie
11-2 servings (14 ounces)
Prep 10 minutes
Cook 0 minutes
Total 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup tigernut flour
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 large ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs (save a few to sprinkle on top as a garnish)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. Add all ingredients to a blender and process until creamy.
- 2. Add the water little by little and stop when you reach your desired consistency.