I'm like most
moms. I have a ton of stuff (read: crap). And being a suburban
mommy, my car is often my office. My home base. My sanctuary. It takes my kids
and me to playdates, to school, to the supermarket, to the drugstore, to soccer
practice, to baseball practice, to karate practice and to grandma's house
(when I need a break from all of those crazy sports practices).
Occasionally, it takes me to a Girls Night Out .
Now, I want to
pick you up for GNO. Really I do. I know that I'm passing your
house on the way there. I know this. But here's the
problem: if you want a ride somewhere, there's gonna be a lot of stuff in my
front seat. And really no room for you.
Here's just a sampling of the 5 million things
you might find riding shotgun with me and my wheels:
Yes, I know my kids have been out of diapers for two years now, but I just haven't gotten around to cleaning out my car yet.
18. A bag of whatever I'm doing for the PTA that
19. Diapers (yes, I know my kids are out of
diapers, I meant to throw them out. Yes, I know my kids have been out of
diapers for two years now, but I just haven't gotten around to cleaning out my
car yet. GET OFF MY BACK, WOULD YOU?!)
20. Ahem. Sorry about that. Didn't mean to
get defensive there. I mean, I'm sure that you also keep in your front seat:
21. Toy cars
22. Toy trucks
23. Legos. (Do NOT sit on those. I stepped on
a Lego block once, and I'm still recovering.)
24. Superhero action figures
25. Little rubber animals that they give out
at the doctor's office
26. A tiny tube of toothpaste from the last
dentist's visit (because of the aforementioned lollipops)
27. Empty bottles of water (yes, I know that
my front seat is not a garbage can, but I have very high hopes that one day,
those water bottles will be recycled and not merely thrown in the trash.)
28. The return I've been meaning to do from
29. The hand-me-downs I've been meaning to
drop off at my sister-in-law's house.
30. Two tubes of lipstick
31. One tub of lip balm
32. Three tubes of lip gloss (What, we're
going out tonight, aren't we?!)