We need to take care of ourselves, too! We've got delicious and easy recipes, the latest fashion and home decor trends, health topics that impact every woman and so much more. So grab a cup of coffee and dig in.
It truly takes a village to raise a child, and we're here for you! Link up with a community of moms just like you and learn about fabulous events in your area plus amazing product giveaways, discounts and more!
Protect yourself. Open the doors or windows in the room where you are cleaning. When cleaning mold or mildew, you should work in a well-ventilated area to reduce the inhalation of mold spores. Put on gloves to protect your skin. If you are working in a large area or if the mold is overhead, purchase safety goggles and a mask from a home improvement store.
Clean the surface. Using a stiff brush, non-ammonia detergent and hot water, scrub the area containing the mold. Mix a solution of 1 gallon of water and 1-1/4 cup of bleach to disinfect the area. Spray the surface or wipe it down using the bleach solution and a sponge. Allow the bleach to sit for approximately 10 minutes. Rinse the area completely with clear water.
Dry the area. If the surface is one that you can move, set it outside to dry; otherwise allow the object to air-dry on its own. You can use fans to speed up the drying process.
Brush off traces of mold and mildew. Do this after you have put on your gloves. Use a stiff brush to wipe away the mildew on items such as clothing or bedding.
Clean washable items thoroughly. Place machine-washable items in the washing machine and wash using detergent in hot water. Inspect the item for mildew stains that did not come out in the wash. Rub a mixture of lemon and salt directly on any lingering stains, and wash the item again. Take items that are not machine-washable to a dry cleaner.
Dry thoroughly. Place the item outside to air dry. Avoid using an electric clothes dryer, which may set any stains you have missed.
Dust off the mildew from items such as sofas, rugs, mattresses or chairs. Do this outdoors or in a well-ventilated room. Go over the surface with the vacuum cleaner, using its attachment if necessary.
Wash the area to remove the mildew. Dip a sponge into a bucket of sudsy detergent and hot water. Wring the sponge to remove most of the water. Wipe down the area with your sponge. You can also clean the area using a solution of 1 cup rubbing alcohol and 1 cup water.
Place it in the sun to dry. Blot off any excess moisture and, if you prefer to not set your furnishings outdoors, allow it to air-dry in a well-ventilated room using fans to speed up the process.