Occasionally when someone has a tummy ache in our house, I head to the store and pick up some 7-Up or Sprite. It just settles those little
tummies so quickly.
Of course, we’re not big soda drinkers around here, so I always
have some left over and since I hate to waste it, I turn to the next morning’s
I know, you’re thinking that soda for breakfast sounds a little
nuts, but wait! Have you heard of the wondrous 7-Up Biscuits? They’re the most
soft and tender biscuits I’ve ever made and I’ve made a lot of dang biscuits in
The dough, while very soft, is pretty easy to work with. I’ve
never had a bad batch, and rumor has it, these taste a lot like the biscuits
you get from KFC. I don’t know about you, but we love KFC’s biscuits!
I like to doctor my biscuits up a bit with some shredded
cheddar and crispy bacon. If a plain biscuit with butter is good, a biscuit
topped with cheese and bacon can only be better, right? That’s how my mind
Photograph by Karly Campbell
RECIPE: Bacon Cheddar 7-Up Biscuits
yield: 8-10 biscuits
● 2 cups baking mix, such as Bisquick
● ½ cup sour cream
● ½ cup 7-Up or other lemon lime flavored clear soda
● ¼ cup melted butter
● ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
● 6 slices bacon
● 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
1. Heat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Add the butter to a large, deep cast iron skillet or
cake pan and place in the oven to melt. Do not let the butter burn.
3. While the oven is heating, place a medium skillet over
medium heat. Chop the bacon into bite sized pieces and fry until crisp. Drain
on a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
4. Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to stir together
the baking mix and sour cream until the mix is fully incorporated with the sour
5. Use a wooden spoon to stir the soda into the mixture.
The dough will be very soft and wet.
6. Sprinkle extra baking mix or flour over a clean work
surface and turn the dough out. Pat into a 1 inch thick circle.
7. Use a biscuit cutter or clean glass to cut the
8. Carefully transfer the biscuits to the prepared pan
with the melted butter.
9. Sprinkle with the cheese and bacon.
for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
from the oven and sprinkle with the Parmesan.