2 Florida avocados (the really big avocados) or 4 Haas avocados
8 Key limes, sliced in halves
3 tablespoons cilantro
8 to 10 cherry tomatoes, or 2 small Roma tomatoes
4 cloves garlic
Sea salt to taste
Ground pepper to taste
Skewers pre-soaked in water for 20 minutes (for the garlic cloves and cherry tomatoes)
1. Heat the grill to medium heat, about 350 degrees.
2. Halve the avocados and remove the seeds.
3. Skewer the garlic cloves and cherry tomatoes (no need to skewer if using Roma tomatoes).
4. Grill the avocado, limes, jalapeños, garlic and tomatoes until char marks form.
5. Chop the charred avocado into bite-sized pieces. Mince the tomatoes, garlic and jalapeno.
6. Combine all the chopped ingredients in a bowl,
7. Squeeze the juice from the charred limes into the bowl, using your fingers to catch the seeds.
8. Stir all ingredients together, and add the cilantro, sea salt and pepper to taste. For extra flavor, add a little lime zest.
9. Chill and serve with tortilla chips. This is also excellent as a topping for fish or chicken, as well as on salads.
From Robyn Medlin, Grill Grrrl
Peppercorn Tuna Steaks
Peppercorn-Encrusted Tuna Steaks