1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 stick unsalted butter, diced and chilled
2 cups fresh blueberries
Zest of 1 whole lemon
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Put the buttermilk,
eggs and vanilla extract in a small bowl and whisk lightly.
2. Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and a pinch of salt in
a large mixing bowl.
3. Add chilled, diced butter and rub into the dry
ingredients using your fingertips.
4. When the mixture looks like bread crumbs, scoop out about
1/2 cup of the dry mixture and set aside in a separate bowl.
5. Add the egg mixture to the large bowl and mix until only
6. Add the blueberries and lemon zest and fold in briefly.
7. Spoon the mixture into a muffin pan sprayed with
nonstick cooking spray, filling them almost to the top.
8. Pour the melted butter into the reserved dry ingredients
and mix with a fork until crumbly. Scatter evenly over the muffins.
9. Put the muffin pan on the middle
shelf of the preheated oven. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and a
toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
10. Remove the pan from the oven.
Let cool in pan before tipping the muffins out onto a wire rack to cool
Back to step-by-step recipe
Blueberry Streusel Muffins