For kids around the country, back-to-school time is officially here and it's everything. And unlike past generations, kids (and parents) have an insight into the hottest must-have trends beyond combing through dELiA*s catalogs: They have Pinterest. According to the mega social media site, there have been over 70 million back-to-school pins this past summer, an almost 300% increase in the normal school-related content. And through all of that data, Pinterest narrowed down the 10 most popular back-to-school trends for the 2015 school year.
Without further ado, here are the top back-to-school trends taking Pinterest boards and classrooms by storm:
4. Artsy Notebooks: Kids want everything (yes, even their notebooks) to make a statement — whether they're pinning boutique-style notebooks or opting for DIY ideas, this trend is here to stay…until they discover how cool Moleskins are at least.
5. Old School Backpacks Are Making A Comeback: If your middle schooler needs to be on-trend this year, here's a tip: Old-school or "heritage" backpacks are totally in. Look for a lightweight, durable canvas backpack with cool, old-school style.
6. Backpack Fresheners: I'm not sure when or why backpack fresheners became a "thing," but apparently kids' today want their backpacks to smell as fresh as possible. Or maybe it's the wishful thinking of Pinterest-happy moms of pubescent boys.
7. DIY Stickers: Stickers aren't exactly a new trend, but it's easier than ever for kids to customize and print their own at home. Whether it's to decorate notebooks or lockers, or to label elementary-school kids' supplies, DIY sticker makers are all the rage this year.
10. Creative Lunch Notes: A piece of notebook paper just doesn't cut it these days. Pinterest parents are taking lunchbox notes up a level with unique, creative lunch messages which is bananas, like, via bananas.