1 1/4 cup sweet white sorghum flour plus extra for flouring surface
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup palm sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons ground flax seed
1/4 teaspoon rock salt
1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil
1/2 cup unsweetened nondairy milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon or orange zest
1 cup fresh raspberries
1 tablespoon unsweetened nondairy milk
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In food processor place flours, palm sugar, cream of tartar, baking soda, ground flax and salt. Pulse on and off to combine the ingredients. Add coconut oil and pulse about 15 to 20 times or until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Combine the lightly beaten egg, milk, vanilla extract and zest. Pour over the flour mixture and process for about 10 seconds.
4. Scrape the dough into a bowl. Quickly, but gently, fold in the raspberries with a spatula.
5. Sprinkle the baking sheet with a touch of sorghum flour and pat the dough to an 8-inch circle that is 3/4-inch thick. Cut into 8 wedges, keeping the pieces attached.
6. Brush the top with 1 tablespoon of milk and bake for 12 minutes, remove from the oven, separate the wedges and return to the oven to bake for another 10 minutes.
7. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.