1 1/2 cups buttermilk; or, for a lighter scone, use half & half, milk or thinned plain yogurt
1/2 to 3/4 cup jam or preserves
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl or the bowl of a food processor, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Blend using a pastry cutter or fork, or pulse the food processor until the mixture is combined but there are still bits of butter no bigger than a pea.
3. If you’re using a food processor, dump the mixture out into a bowl. Add the buttermilk, cream or milk, and stir just until the dough comes together.
4. Divide it in half, and on a floured surface roll each piece into a 10-inch square.
5. Spread the jam in a strip down the middle third of the square, and fold each half over it, overlapping like a letter. If you like, brush the tops with a little extra milk and sprinkle with sugar.
6. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden.
7. To serve, cut into thick slices, or triangle-shaped wedges by cutting at alternating angles.