I took inspiration for this recipe from Chic Shopper Chick's strawberry and stars shortcake, but changed it up quite a bit. I love mason jars—they're cute, easily transportable, make great individual servings and even have lids. So, I thought this recipe would be a good way to use them. Instead of cutting stars out of the pound cake, I just crumbled it up and layered it with the cream cheese frosting. The jars I used are probably 8 or 9 ounces. Everyone at my house and the office loved this dessert ... and like I said, it was really easy to get them to the office because of the mason jars. If I'd made it in that big bowl, I would have been a lot more worried about everything spilling and sliding together.
1 pound cake
1 tub of frozen whipped topping that's mostly thawed
2 8-ounce packages of cream cheese
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1. Start the frosting by softening the cream cheese in the microwave, heating it for about 30 seconds at half power.
2. Add the sugar, and beat together until smooth.
3. Use a spatula to gently fold in the whipped topping until it's blended well.
4. Put strawberries in the bottom of the mason jars, filling them up about a third of the way.
5. Spoon the cream cheese topping into a zip-top bag and cut off one of the ends of the bag. Squeeze a few tablespoons of topping out of the bag and onto the strawberries.
6. Prepare the pound cake by cutting it into cubes. Then, crumble it on top of the frosting until the jars are about two-thirds filled.
7. Top off the pound cake with blackberries and blueberries.