Servings: 4 stuffed peppers
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 4 red bell peppers, tops removed and deseeded (reserve pepper tops and mince for use in filling)
- 2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, minced
- Minced pepper tops
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup, white quinoa
- 2 cups, low fat milk
- 2 cups, broccoli florets
- 1 cooked, rotisserie chicken breast, shredded
- 1 cup, shredded cheddar cheese plus more for topping
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare an 8x8 inch roasting pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place hollowed out bell peppers into the pan, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt.
3. Roast peppers for 20-25 minutes until softened.
4. Meanwhile, preheat a large 1 quart saucepan over medium-high heat melt the butter and sauté shallot until fragrant. About 5 minutes.
5. Add the salt, pepper, quinoa, milk and broccoli to the pan and bring to a boil, stirring frequently so as not to scorch the milk.
6. Reduce heat to medium and cover. Allow quinoa to cook for 13-16 minutes until all liquid has absorbed and quinoa is tender.
7. Remove the quinoa mixture from the heat and stir in cooked chicken and cheese.
8. Spoon the quinoa mixture into the roasted bell peppers and top with extra shredded cheese.
9. Broil for 3 to 5 minutes until cheese is bubbly and golden.
10. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Skylar Thomson