Most of us try to keep clean, safe homes. But often the products we use daily contain or release toxins that, after prolonged exposure, increase our risk for health problems. A few of these items are particularly toxic. You might want to seriously consider getting rid of them.
For example, older nonstick cookware. The chemical originally used to make Teflon, perfluorooctanoic acid, or PFOA, is a suspected carcinogen. It's mostly been phased out in favor of polytetrafluoroethylene, which can still flake if not properly taken care of. Ingesting those flakes does not pose the same risks, experts believe. If you've got older pans or are not sure what the nonstick surface of your cookware is made of — and if you can stand to part with them — it's probably a good idea.