For someone who loves to cook as much as I do, there are days, plenty of them in fact, where I just want a delicious dinner to appear before my eyes, requiring as little work as possible. This Chicken Tortilla Soup is that answer to my prayers. With just a little bit of effort on my part, I'm able to get this flavorful soup on the table for my family without spending hours in the kitchen preparing it.
And who doesn't like tortilla chips? When I put my kids bowls in front of them with some tortilla chips on the side, their eyes light up. They love that I let them use their hands to break up the chips to sprinkle on top of the soup and then stir them in, making dinner not only an interactive experience, but a super fun one at that!
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 teaspoon salt
1 green bell pepper or red bell pepper, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 32 oz box chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 15 oz can tomato, diced
1 pound chicken breast, boneless and skinless
juice of 1 lime
crushed tortilla chips
1. In a large pot, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil and sauté the onions and salt for 3 minutes.
2. Add the bell peppers, garlic clove and cumin and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
3. Add the broth and remaining ingredients (except for the lime juice & tortilla chips). Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
4. After 10-15 minutes (depending on the size of your chicken breasts) remove the chicken from the pot and shred, using a fork. Place the shredded chicken back into the pot with the lime juice and simmer for another 3-4 minutes or until chicken is heated though.
5. Remove bay leaf, pour soup into bowls, and top with crushed tortilla chips for everyone to stir in on their own. Serve with desired toppings on the side.