RECIPE: Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 30 minutes (Mostly inactive)
- 2 lbs.
Campari or Roma tomatoes, halved crosswise
- 4 Tbs. extra
virgin olive oil, divided
- ¾ tsp.
kosher salt, divided
- ¼ tsp. coarse
ground black pepper
- ½ tsp.
- 1 shallot,
- 4 garlic
cloves, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs.
- 1 cup tomato
basil marinara sauce, store-bought or homemade
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup whole
milk plain yogurt
pesto and grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F, and fit a rimmed
baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.
2. Spread tomato halves onto the prepared baking
sheet, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon kosher
salt, black pepper and sugar.
3. Roast for about 1 hour or until tomatoes have
4. While tomatoes are roasting, heat the remaining
2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large 2 quart saucepan over medium-high heat.
5. Add onion, remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt and
garlic. Sauté for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions become fragrant
6. Add tomato paste to the onion mixture, and stir
frequently until the tomato paste begins to caramelize, about 5 minutes.
7. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the warm roasted
tomatoes, marinara sauce and chicken broth and simmer covered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Add the plain yogurt and stir to combine.
9. Using a hand blender, carefully blend the soup
mixture until smooth. If using a standard blender, allow soup to cool almost to
room temperature before blending.
10. Serve topped with pesto and Parmesan
Recipe by Skylar Thomsen