Cereal, pancakes, oatmeal and omelets ... breakfast can feel like one big "same old, same old" after a while. If you're sick of making your normal breakfast rotation, I bet your family feels the same way about eating it. Whenever I whip up these Bell Pepper Egg Flowers in the morning, to my kids it's as if I've bought a brand new car. It's such a welcome novelty that my little guys go nuts with excitement! They both adore bell peppers, and by adding a perfectly cooked egg and topping it with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, this breakfast treat is an easy way to get protein and even a bit of veggies into my family's bodies first thing in the morning.
1 large bell pepper
4 medium eggs
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese or any other cheese
2 teaspoons olive oil
1. Take 1 large bell pepper, slice into four 1/2″-thick rounds (or “flowers”), and remove the inner membranes (or white part).
2. Heat 2 tsp. of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the flowers for 2 minutes on one side.
3. Flip the flowers over, and crack an egg into the middle of each flower.
4. Cover skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes for runny eggs, or 5 minutes for firm eggs.
5. Sprinkle each flower with Parmesan a few seconds before you are ready to remove them from the pan.