We need to take care of ourselves, too! We've got delicious and easy recipes, the latest fashion and home decor trends, health topics that impact every woman and so much more. So grab a cup of coffee and dig in.
It truly takes a village to raise a child, and we're here for you! Link up with a community of moms just like you and learn about fabulous events in your area plus amazing product giveaways, discounts and more!
The breakfast burrito: a divine combination of vegetables, meat (sometimes), cheese, eggs, and hot sauce all wrapped up in a warm tortilla. It's incredibly satisfying.
A few weeks ago, I had a craving for a breakfast burrito. But in an effort to not let the contents of my fridge go to waste, I set out to see if I could make my own and still be satisfied. I actually surprised myself with how tasty these burritos were. I much prefer these over any I've had from a restaurant and I love the fact that you can experiment with fillings.
This specific vegetarian recipe comes together in just 15 minutes, but don't be turned off by its simplicity, because it's loaded with flavor. It calls for just a few vegetables that cook together in a cast-iron pan that brings all of the flavors out beautifully. A little bit of cheese, a scrambled egg, a few dashes of Tapatío, and things are good to go. I used a whole-wheat tortilla because I prefer the flavor, and honestly, that's what I had in my refrigerator.
I made these again over the weekend and added black beans, leftover roasted sweet potatoes, and avocado, and even though I wasn't able to completely close the burritos, they were completely delicious. Experiment with your fillings and come back and share what you've come up with! It's so liberating to be able to make your favorite restaurant dishes at home and actually be pleased with them.
Play around with the ingredients in your breakfast burrito and feel free to experiment. I like to cook my eggs in olive oil because of the added flavor.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeds removed, chopped
1 russet potato, finely diced
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus a dash
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 whole-wheat tortillas
6 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
1. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a cast iron pan or a heavy sauté pan over medium heat.
2. Add onion, green pepper, and potato to the pan and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.
3. Let this mixture cook down, stirring occasionally until all of the vegetables are soft and begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
4. In another pan, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
5. Crack the eggs into the pan, sprinkle with a dash of salt, and scramble until cooked but still soft.
6. Sprinkle each tortilla with grated cheese and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds.
7. Top each tortilla with cooked vegetables and half of the eggs. Top with hot sauce.
8. Fold into a burrito by folding the bottom two inches of the tortilla up first, then closing the sides.