Our Privacy/Cookie Policy contains detailed information about the types of cookies & related technology on our site, and some ways to opt out. By using the site, you agree to the uses of cookies and other technology as outlined in our Policy, and to our Terms of Use.


Fifth Student Dies After Washington Shooting

15-year-old Andrew Fryberg dies; is the fifth student to pass from Washington School shooting

After bravely hanging on for weeks, 15-year-old Andrew Fryberg—one of the four students wounded October 24 when his friend and cousin Jaylen Fryberg opened fire in the school cafeteria—passed away on Saturday, November 8, as a result of his wounds. Fryberg is the fifth student to die following the shooting, which has so far claimed the lives of 14-year-olds Zoe Galasso, Gia Soriano and Shaylee Chuckulnaskit. The shooter, 14-year-old Jaylen Fryberg, died at the scene from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

After news of Andrew's death swept the media Saturday, the teen's family released the following statement: "We express our thanks for the amazing support from the community, as well as from everyone around the world that have been praying for us all through this tragic event."

The Frybergs also took time to ask for privacy while they grieve, as well as to thank the hardworking staff at the Harborview Medical Center's pediatric intensive care unit, who they say were "amazing" in caring for their son.

Andrew was the last of the victims to remain hospitalized following the October 24 shooting, which happened in the school cafeteria at Marysville-Pilchuck High School in Washington. On Thursday, November 6, Andrew's friend Nate Hatch was released from the hospital and returned home, where more than 200 friends and family lined the road to his house on the Tulalip Indian Reservation just north of Seattle. The 14-year-old had been shot in the jaw.

Andrew Fryberg and Nate Hatch were cousins of the shooter.

As the community still struggles to come to grips with what happened that day in October, a statement released Friday night from Tulalip Tribes, which Fryberg and Hatch belonged to.

"[We] will be forever changed as a result of the senseless and tragic incident that took place on the morning of Oct. 24 and know that healing will not happen overnight," he statement read. "We remain committed to taking this journey together, step by step, holding up the families most impacted and helping our communities heal."

Photo via Facebook

More from news