Dangerous accidents involving children can happen in a heartbeat, whether it's at the pool,around a vacuum cleaner or, as Stevie Niki can attest to, by a window in plain sight. The mom of four was folding laundry while her toddler son, Tayne, played by the window just a few feet away. But next thing she knew, Tayne was tangled up with the window-blind cords around his neck, quietly crying, "Mama."
Niki quickly jumped to the rescue and untangled her son, who fortunately was OK. The blogger of My Tribe of Six was reluctant to post about the incident, especially when such a "major mom fail that could have killed him" would no doubt draw criticism in an age when judgment and mom guilt are ubiquitous.
"But maybe it's more important than me and what you think. Maybe it might stop it from happening to someone else," she wrote on Instagram, including a photo of her son wrapped in the cords (which, for the record, she took after safely untangling her child).
Niki said that the pull cords we often hear about, the ones used to pull blinds up and down, were secured tightly to the framework, "with safety tags attached and all."
"But these cords along the bottom are clearly a major oversight (at least they were to me) when it comes to the safety of our littles," she continued. "I would never have given it a second thought if I had not seen what could have seriously hurt him, if I were not right there, with him."
|| WARNING || I ummed and ahhhed whether to even post this because you know, another major mum fail this week that could have killed him (maybe its why i am such an emotional wreck this week) just another thing to criticize another mother, but maybe its more important than me and what you think.. maybe it might stop it from happening to someone else. Too big not to share? Earlier this week while i was folding the washing, he was playing next to the window, within my view, only 2 metres away (if that). Next thing i know, i hear him start to quietly cry my name "mamma" i looked up from the washing pile and see him caught in the cords, with them wrapped around his neck. I immediately jump up as fast as i can and untangle him. We often read and hear about how the the cords on our blinds (that pull them up and down) should be secured tightly to the frame work .. and mine are! With safety tags attached and all. But these cords along the bottom are clearly a major over sight (atleast they were to me) when it comes to the safety of our littles. I would never of given it a second thought if i had not seen what could have seriously hurt him, if i were not right there, with him. Please, check your vertical blinds if you have them on Windows, above floor length and little ones in your home. These photos were taken after what happened, before i removed the cords from our vertical blinds. To show how dangerous they are. I obviously didnt take these photos when he was tangled. That would be a rediculously irresponsible and dangerous thing to do. My children, their health and safety is always priority to me, not a post or a picture. Just a warning, be careful. He was totally fine just a little stuck, thank goodness.
Niki has not been the only parent to speak out about the danger of window-blind cords. Just last month, dad Karl Williams shared disturbing photos of red marks around his 4-year-old daughter's neck.
"Our daughter was found on the windowsill with the cord wrapped so tight around her neck she had to be cut free. Lucky enough, she was found in time by her quick-thinking mum. We could have lost her. Children will climb on (the) windowsill regardless of how you try to stop them, so dangerous," he wrote on Facebook.
HUGE ALERT FOR PARENTS !!!! Share this please!! If you windows have vents in with cord to open and close them REMOVE THE CORD NOW IF YOU HAVE YOUNG CHILDREN !! Our daughter was found on the...
In 2014, another 4-year-old girl in Ohio, who might have been jumping on her bed near the window, died by being strangled by a cord.
Death by hazardous window cords is more common than you might think. According to Parents for Window Blind Safety, a nonprofit aiming to educate consumers about these dangers and support affected families, more than 1,600 children were treated for near-strangulation in U.S. emergency rooms. Fatal cases amount to at least 300, and many others suffered permanent brain damage or quadriplegia.
What makes it even worse is that this danger isn't new or unheard of. The battle to make blinds safer for kids has been going on for about 30 years. In 1997, the Consumer Product Safety Commission found that 49 percent of total window-cord strangulations from 1981 were not being reported to the CPSC.
"The deaths are fast and silent. Often, the parent is in the same room and turns away to change a channel or put away laundry. Those thin cords are sharp and quick on little necks," the Washington Post reported last year.
Experts say cordless blinds are the answer, which are only about $5 or so more expensive per unit. According to PFWBS, blinds should have no pull cords to raise and lower, no tilt cords to allow light in and tight inner cords that won't make a loop for a small head to fit through.
If you do have blinds with cords, the CSPC warns against placing cribs, beds and furniture close to windows and to regularly check that cords are out of reach of young children and cannot form dangerous loops.
It’s not that toddlers are more susceptible to germs in the winter, but there are more viruses around to get them sick. “This is due to circulated air in homes, schools and day care,” says Seattle pediatrician Dr. Wendy Sue Swanson. “We see typical cold viruses pop in the winter, things like rhinovirus, RSV or influenza.” Monitor your kids. Colds are common and less severe, whereas the flu and RSV can turn into harsher problems like pneumonia.